Social-Security-CardIn most (if not all) Bankruptcy Courts, if you file a personal Bankruptcy case you will need your official social security card for your first meeting of creditors.  That means the card issued by the Social Security Administration, and not a photocopy or any other unofficial card you may have obtained elsewhere.  Not surprisingly, many people have lost their card or cannot find it.  After all, it is a small piece of paper we are expected to keep for decades!  The good news is that you might be able to obtain a replacement card by applying online.  The SSA has instituted a new program for applying online and you can go to this link to see if you qualify.  If you are reading this and you do not have your original card, go ahead and try to apply online or go to your local office and apply in person, even if you do not have a Bankruptcy case or other immediate need.  It is good to have on hand when you need it (but do not carry it with you, and do not laminate it).